This parish church in Les Corts neighbourhood was damaged by fire and used as a warehouse during the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939).
The Parish Church of Nostra Senyora del Remei was built in historicist style between 1846 and 1849, according to plans drawn up by the architect Josep Oriol Mestres. The belltower was added fifty years later, in 1897. In 1936, following the military uprising and the outbreak of the Spanish Civil War, a group of angry local residents attacked the building, whilst another group tried to stop them and save some of the church goods. Despite these efforts, on July 21, people set fire to the church and the roof and arches collapsed. All that remained standing were the outer walls, the Chapel of El Santíssim Sagrament and the belltower, though these were also badly damaged. During the war, the chapel was occupied by a builders’ committee, which installed offices and stores here. The parish hall was destroyed, but part of the parish archive was saved. In 1940, after the end of the war, work began to reconstruct the church, and this was completed in 1948. Today, the site is known as the Parish Church of Santa Maria del Remei.
Address: 1, Plaça de la Concòrdia || Coordinates: (LAT, LONG): 41.386892816, 2.132069749